Dr. Vanessa Canty, Principal
952 Fulton Street
Sumter, SC 29150
Phone: 775-0658 Fax: 778-2730
Located in Sumter, South Carolina, Lemira began in 1888 as a one room schoolhouse with one teacher. Lemira was first located on Brewington Road, about four and one-half miles from downtown Sumter. Many of the attending children walked almost all of that distance to attend the school. The enrollment was 25 students. The building was a gift of Lemuel Ira Reames, its founder, a Civil War veteran with a fine record in the Confederate Army. The cabin structure was erected and named for its donor.
The 1998 renovations of our current building, on Fulton Street, included a new preschool, kindergarten, and first grade wing in addition to an art room, music room, physical education room and a science lab. The former first grade pod building is now the renovated media/technology center. The office occupies the former library area.
Today, the population of Lemira is approximately 600 students. We are proud to be the home of COLLEGE-BOUND Leaders! Go Lions!